Book Review: Again, But Better

Welcome Back!
Thanks for staying, as well!

I have already blasted through one of my books on my TBR and it is...
AGAIN BUT BETTER by Christine Riccio

So, here is my honest review of the book.  Warning this will contain spoilers.

I didn't go into this book thinking very much. I have been a BIG fan of Christine's since the early days. Here writing chronicles videos on her youtube, polandbanannabooks, are one the the amazing things that is encouraging me to continue writing. But seeing the finish product of those writing videos is amazing. 

First, the book cover....
We have to talk about that book cover. First can I just point out how beautiful it is. I have the hard copy so underneath that dust jack is the most beautiful sparkling watermelon and it is brilliant. 
I think that the cover really summarizes the book. The different block colours indicate towards the second chances that Shane gets in a subtle was which is nicely touched upon.

Characters
One this that stuck me was the characters' names. I understand that a contempory novel is meant to have wacky protagonist names but these ones for me took it a bit to far. but how am I to complain. I mean look at the Kardashian/Jenner/West/other children names. I struggle if my name was True.

Pilot Penn. That is the main characters lead. While the characterisation of this character was brilliant, I couldn't help but think that this name was way to far fetch. In the end I was watching one of her videos (Book Titles are Stupid, This is how I picked mine) where she discussed the characters name at the end. Her reasoning behind choosing that name was really sweet and I understand the sentiment. 

Plot
In a simplified version: Pilot has a girlfriend but has been flirting with Shane despite that. Shane never told her parents the true course that she was studying in London and eventually all at once both Shane's parents and his girlfriend arrive stunting Shane's study abroad.

When opening this book, Shane is on the plane to London to do a Creative Writing exchange, despite being a premed student back in the US. The way that the book ran was very centred around Shane's thoughts and life, which is obvious because she is the main character. There are some really funny sections especially with Shane's constant battle with the chairs. From the first list that Shane comprised I was expecting this novel would centre around the struggle of life but I never felt that at all. Shane instantly found friends and a romantic interest within four hours of arriving in London. NOT very realistic.

You can't help but feel the chemistry between Pilot and Shane from the beginning and I don't think its because you want Shane to succeed in completing her second chance list. When reading we follow her adventures in London, Paris and Rome before everything goes haywire!
The building up to that moment is not as dramatic as I expected it to be, but at the same time I didn't expect the six years later bit either. 

After everything happen between Shane and Pilot both leave and head back to the US separately, Six years later they meet up again and a THRUST back in time to have a second chance. This questions the reality of this novel following that burst of magic. the magic is never explained and we are left with Pilot (who got thrust back with her) and Shane working out if they want to go back to their time and how to do it. 

Obviously, they decided not to and they are left exploring the next six years again. The plot is sweet in as much as they get to redo the bits that they don't like and they also get to see what their lives would be like if they could follow their dreams, an opportunity that not many of us have been able to take. By looking at it this way we are able to see two sides of Shane and what her life would be like with either outcome. 

Travel Aspect...lets go fly a kite.
WOW! there is only ever been one book that has made me want to travel so much and it was a travel guide. What's amazing about it was, We are stuck in quarantine with no where to go but out for your one form of exercise (Thanks Boris!). So reading this novel was like I was there too. I felt like I got to explore London despite living in the UK! I absolutely love that aspect of the novel.

Next?
Sadly, I do not think there should be a sequel or anything else written following this storyline, because it holds more power as a stand-a-lone. By expanding the world you run the risk of falling into uncharted territory that contrasts what you have read before - YES, J.K.Rowling I am looking a cursed child when I say that - and Christine has brought up a very convincing element of magic to the the realistic world. 

Stars
Overall I rated it a 4 out of 5 stars. 

Congratulations, Christine on your debut novel!
If you have not watched any of her video you have to go check out her channel. Its well worth it!

See you soon

AnAlienatedReader 
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do during Quarantine?

Reading in May

Quarantine Day Number...