Reading in May

Its the end of the month already! May has just gone so quickly. and now...

we are SIX months into 2020. Holy cow.

That is all I have to say on the matter.


Back to reading. As May has flown by so quickly I thought I would give you an update of the books I have read this month. There has been such a wide range of books and even some rereads. Let me know if you have read any of these books or plan on in the future.

1. Again, but Better by Christine Riccio





I did a full review, earlier this month on this book because there was just so much to say about it! if your interested please have a look. This novel follow Shane who is looking for a fresh start during a study abroad program in London. She wants to finally make friends and maybe even get a boyfriend, you never know. The hopes of anyone entering higher education if you ask me.

This novel was a contemporary I was looking forward to but it left me with more questions than answers. All of them good questions. It was extremely well written and I really enjoyed reading it.

I gave this book 4/5 Stars!

2. The Wicked King by Holly Black

This is the second book in the Folk of Air Series. Jude is a mortal in the world of the Fae, a deadly combo. She is using her ability from her murderous adoptive father to keep hold of her claim over the High King of Elfame, Cardan, who is doing everything in his power to go against her.

I was hesitant to start this series when The Cruel Prince came out and honestly I felt like a lot of it went unexplained. The fast pace created this urgency that was continuous throughout the whole entire novel.Overall I dont think that this book was my cup of tea.
I'm sorry to all those Judan lovers out there.

I gave this book a 3/4 Stars.

3. A Curse so Dark and Lonely by Bridget Kemmer 





This was by far my favourite book of the month. This retelling followed in the footstep of Beauty and the Beast. Prince Rehn is forced to relive the season of his 18th birthday over and over again until he can fall in love with another and get them to fall in love back.

I am so soppy for these kind of retellings and I think it is one of the reasons that I have ordered Disney+ but that's a theory for another time. This story deals with issues that I, personally, have not seen in other YA novels. The main Protagonist Harriet has cerebral palsy as well as a mother suffering from cancer. I think that the information provided gradually over this book was so interesting and entreating.

I am so looking forward to seeing Rehn, Grey and Harriet again in the second book. I gave this book a 4.5/5 stars.

4. Trials of Apollo: The Tyrant's Tomb by Rick Riordan




In Light of the news regarding a Disney+ PERCY JACKSON series, I felt I had to return back to the world of Myths created by the talented Uncle Rick. This is the fourth book in the Trials of Apollo story and the 14 book in the overall series I believe but I am not sure.

It follow Apollo, Greek God of Music, Archery and Medicine, after he has been cast out of Olympus by his father Zeus. Apollo has to compete these tasks in order to be returned to his Godly form. Apollo, Meg and the Roman Demigods work together to complete his fourth task as deadly zombie like figure are attacking.

I knew very little about Roman Mythology when I started reading The Lost Hero and Now I am learning even more. There is defiantly an educational vibe coming off Uncle Rick books which I love. Brink the myths into a modern day world is fascinating and the character of Apollo is such a funny narrator.

I would 100000000000 percent recommend a Percy Jackson book. Your life will be changed forever.
I gave this book a 4/5 Stars.

5. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas


Finally, I decided that I was still hung up on both A Curse so Dark and Lonely and Crescent City and I need to return to the world of Sarah J Maas. So I re-read ACOTAR and it is so interesting to read it again after all these years and knowing the outcomes.
If you have not read this series, WHAT are you thinking.... it follows Feyre who sacrifices herself every night to hunt for food to look after her family. She is a mortal who fear the Fae living in the land above them and before she knows it she is being carted of to live the rest of her life in fae land all because she killed a fae disguised as a wolf.

This retelling quested everything I knew about the original fairy tell and then some. When reading again I pick up on suttle hints that would later effect the next books and it was just so amazing again to watch everything unravel again.

I gave this book a 4.5/5 stars.


Well, Its not as many books as I though but am definitely grateful for that. What have you read this month and what was the most exciting bookish related news that you have discover this month. Mine has to be the Disney+ adaptations of Hamilton and Percy Jackson. I can't wait for them to come out.

Hope your May was as good as mine,

Love
AnAlienatedReader
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do during Quarantine?

Quarantine Day Number...